Moving Beyond
Port Phillip District

Squatters and Runs

First Land Sales

Railway Township

Dairy Farming

and Businesses

The Railway At Clyde

Clyde Churches Time Line

Clubs and Organisatons

How Clyde Got Its Name

Clyde's Meteorites


History for Students

Stories and Inquests

Settlement History
Shops and Businesses 1900-1930

In the very early 1900’s, prior to the previously mentioned shops, James Stewart built another shop on the corner of Oroya Grove and Main Street. At first he had the house built and then a small workshop upon which the shop was built later to face Main Street. James Stewart was a boot-maker and operated from this shop. Sometime before his wife died he lost his leg in an accident, apparently a horse drawn wagon bolted across the Princes Bridge in Melbourne and he tried to stop it but his leg got run over by the wagon. He was taken to the Old Saint Vincents Hospital where they amputated his leg. In addition to boot-making Jim sold cigarettes, biscuits and soft drinks, and, also operated a mail run. In a jinker he would travel to Clyde North Post Office/School and then to Cardinia to deliver the mail reaching Clyde about 3.00 p.m. In 1922 his wife (nee Mary Ridgway) died and he left the district with his son Andrew.

Albert Wenn purchased the property from James Stewart and Allen (his son) continued the business (no boot-making) for some time with the help of his new wife Dolly (nee Ferguson who ran a cake shop).

Mrs. Hart took over the shop at a later date selling sweets, etc. and vegetables grown on a nearby property on the Clyde-Berwick Road. In the back part of the shop which James Stewart had used as a storeroom a dressmaker/millinery shop was established by Doreen Wenn (Albert's daughter) and Mrs. Merlin (nee Vinge-later Mrs George Selway) and conducted it from 1926-27.

During this boom-time two blacksmiths made the best of their opportunities and set up forges. Farmers could travel in with their milk and have their horses shod in the same trip. Both blacksmiths were on Ballarto Road. Kennedy was the first to operate a forge, (1913) which was situated near the railway-bridge facing south to Ballarto Road. Rooke, another blacksmith, replaced Kennedy after some years. A second blacksmith was Grigg who had a forge on Ballarto Road at the south end of Main Street. All these businesses survived until about 1928 when the coming of motorised, farm to farm, milk pick-up dealt a lasting blow to a growing Clyde township. Within a matter of months trading became unprofitable and shops and houses were moved away.

Ash's butcher shop was moved to the property of Ray Thomas; Stewart's shop was moved by J. Bullock to the Cam property, Coast Road, Warneet and five houses between Oroya Grove and Ballarto Road were also moved away.

The Public Hall and Mechanics Institute were conceived and built during this boom and as a community asset it has remained and grown.

more > . .
Store Keepers, Businessmen and Tradesmen

1. The Argus Newspaper
2. Local District Knowledge 1978
3. Clyde School Pupil Register
4. Post Office Directories
5. Letters from Brendan Stewart