Hooray for Clyde

Clyde Time Line

How Clyde Got Its Name

Clyde-Then and Now

Where is Clyde Located?

A Dictionary of Clyde

The Story
Behind This Website

Clyde 2009 (Map)

Walking History Tour (Map)
for downloading


History for Students

Stories and Inquests

Clubs and Organisatons

Clyde District Information
How Clyde Got Its Name

Before the area was recognised as Clyde, it was used by Alexander Cameron (1814-1887) as part of his squatting run, known as Mayune.

The boundary between Mayune and Garem Gam lay along a natural water course.

Sometime between 1852 and 1854, James Mackay, a shepherd on Cameron's Mayune run, is said to have cut the name "Clyde" on a tree whilst watering sheep.

The name has been used since that time, although it more accurately refers to Clyde North - the 'original Clyde'.

For many years the area was referred to as “the Clyde”.

When the railway was built in it drew activity away from Clyde (North) to the area near the Clyde Railway Station. The area around the Railway Station was referred to as Clyde Township. In late 1913 the Post Office was transferred from the station to the General Store.

In February 1915 Clyde (North), the old post office town, became officially known as Clyde North and the railway township became Clyde. Both schools changed their names accordingly- Clyde North (Number 118) and Clyde (Number 3664).

James Hall McKAY (1822-1902), the shepherd who gave Clyde its name.
(Photo courtesy of K Soulsby, a McKay family researcher)

Post Office Moved From Railway Station to Mr Forrest's Store

1913 Post Office moved to Store
CLYDE.-The Railway department has notified the postal authorities that, owing to increased business, the post-office must be removed from the railway station
A public meeting was held to discuss available sites, when it was decided to request the postal authorities to remove the post-office to Mr. M. Forrest's store.
The Argus, 4 Dec 1913


1. A Clyde History
2. McKay Family historian
3. The Good Country